By National Institute on Aging at NIH
To get the most out of exercise and physical activity, they need to be a regular part of your life.
Here are some tips to help you put physical activity at the top of your “to do” list every day.
Make it a priority. Remember that being active is one of the most important things you can do each day to maintain and improve health. Try being active first thing in the morning before you get too busy.
Make it easy. You are more likely to exercise if it’s a convenient part of your day.
- Walk the entire mall or every aisle of the grocery store when you go shopping.
- Join a gym that’s close to your home and easy to get to.
- Take one or more flights of stairs up and two down.
Make it social. Many people agree that an “exercise buddy” keeps them going.
- Take a walk during lunch with coworkers.
- Try a dance class—salsa, tango, square dancing—it’s up to you.
Make it fun. Do things you enjoy, but pick up the pace a bit. If you love the outdoors, try biking or hiking. Listen to music while you garden or wash the car.
Make it happen. Choose to be active in many places and many ways.
- Get off the bus one or two stops early and walk the rest of the way.
- Do toe-stands or wall push-ups while you’re waiting for your spouse to get ready to go out.
For more help on establishing healthy habits and reducing stress, please contact CornerStone Family Services at 614-459-3003 to talk with a coach or counselor.