By Daniel G. Amen, MD
The movie ”Lucy” stars Scarlett Johansson as a drug smuggler for a Taiwanese Mob. A drug (implanted in her body) leaks into her system, allowing her to ”access 100% of her brain function.” The result is telekinetic powers and incredible memory capacity. Although entertaining, the premise is simply not true. Yet still, two-thirds of the population believes that humans only use 10% of their brain.
The truth is…
If we only used 10% of our brains, we’d be evolving backward. Through the lens of brain SPECT imaging, we can actually see how the brain is functioning at rest and during concentration activities. All of the brain’s systems are active—except for when the brain has been damaged or is otherwise low-functioning (click here to view images).
Even when you are resting or sleeping, your brain is still functioning! Your brain is the command and control center for everything you think, do and say. So, how can you keep your brain active and in shape?
5 Ways to Boost Your Brain Power
- Get in the classroom! Take up a new language or learn a new hobby by enrolling in a class. You’re never too old to learn new skill!
- Read. You’d be surprised how many new connections you can make by reading for just 30 minutes a day.
- Play board games. Engaging in play—especially with youngsters—keeps you sharp!
- Teach. As you’re learning a new skill, teach it to someone else. That will increase your understanding too!
- Learn an instrument. Music has a calming effect on the brain and learning a new instrument establishes new neural connections that keep your brain healthy and active—that is, as long as you continue to practice!
…Just imagine what would happen if you exchanged an hour of TV watching for [one of these 5 ways to boost your brain power].